Known as the undisputed King of Curses (
His past appearance is described as a demon with four arms, and two faces. Currently, he appears similar to the host he is in, but with spiked hair and with special marks/lines on his forehead, nose, cheeks and torso. He also has a second pair of eyes under his normal eyes, which are usually closed. Sukuna also has two lines on both his wrists, upper arms, circles on both his shoulders with a dot in each, two segmented curve lines on his chest, and two lines are his stomach while possessing Yuji.
Sukuna wears a light-colored kimono with a black edge, a black scarf, and black shoes.
Sukuna is selfish, cold-hearted, immoral and exceptionally sadistic. When he was reincarnated shortly after Yuji ingests his finger, he makes a comment implying the slaughter of women and children and likening them to maggots crawling around. Due to his immense power, he rarely cares about the consequences of his actions even if these affect his host, Yuji Itadori. In fact, he frequently taunts and insults Yuji, calling him a brat and even laughing at or enjoying Yuji's despair on multiple occasions.
Sukuna is aware of his immense power and is extremely arrogant about it, brutalizing a Finger Bearer all while being patronizing and proclaiming his superiority over it. For this reason, he is highly dismissive of his opponents and rarely takes them seriously, even explicitly stating he would kill Satoru Gojo to his face. However, these brutish traits are not to be confused for stupidity, as Sukuna has been shown to be highly intelligent and manipulative, taking Yuji's body hostage by tearing out his heart in order to force him into a Binding Vow.
In spite of his personal flaws Sukuna does have an infinitesimally small shred of mercy, as during the Shibuya Incident he went out of his way to save Megumi, though this was likely for some unknown ulterior motive and not out of simple kindness.
Abilities and Powers
Overall Skill Level: Sukuna is a Special Grade cursed spirit. As the most powerful curse, Sukuna has a vast amount of cursed energy.
Superhuman Strength: In Yuji's body he possesses superhuman strength, and managed to fling a person through several floors of a building without effort. Even without all of his fingers, he easily overpowered the likes of a Finger Bearer, a Special-Grade Curse.
Superhuman Speed: Sukuna has shown to move at incredible speed, which his opponent doesn't even notice that Sukuna has moved until it is too late.
Superhuman Reflexes: Sukuna can easily counter any opponent, and is fast enough for his opponent to not even realize that their limb has been cut off.
Metamorphosis: Sukuna can create new eyes and mouths on his host, allowing him to see and speak without having to control the body of the host. For example, he created a single eye and fanged mouth on Yuji's left cheek to belittle and taunt him.
Superhuman Durability: Even in Itadori's body, Sukuna is able to use Cursed Energy to bolster his host's resilience. Sukuna was punched through five buildings and shown to be completely fine.
- Sukuna is based on the same-named figure from Japanese mythology: Ryōmen-sukuna (
両 面 宿 儺?). He is a demonic/specter-like figure described in the Nihon Shoki, said to have appeared in the Hida Province (today's Gifu Prefecture) in ancient times, during the reign of Emperor Nintoku.
- He was described as a man of inhuman strength, with a two-faced head plus a total of eight limbs, four arms and legs respectively that served each face. Wielding a multitude of weapons in his many hands (incl. a bow, arrow, and sword), he terrorized village after village in ancient Hida, plundering and leaving chaos in his wake. That is, until a brave military commander dispatched by the Imperial Court, named Takefurukuma, stepped forth and put an end to the monster's tyranny, expelling him from Hida.
- Ryomen-sukuna was worshipped by some as a minor deity, and statues depicting his distinctly two-faced head can still be found today in Gifu temples and shrines.
- Sukuna's kimono is very loose akin to a ladies' kimono, as such space granted him more comfort while having four arms in the past.
- Sukuna ranked 10th place in the manga's 1st Character Popularity Poll with 5,860 votes.