Satoru Gojo is a tall man, towering over his students, and is considered to be very attractive by many people. He has white hair that's often spiked up, but Gojo lets it down when he's in more casual attire. Gojo has bright blue eyes, but they're usually covered by his signature black blindfold or a pair of dark sunglasses.
While working, Gojo wears an all-black high-necked jacket with matching pants and dark dress boots. In the past, Gojo has worn bandages over his eyes rather than his simple blindfold. He has several different casual attires that usually include long-sleeved shirts and slacks. He even wears long-sleeved hoodies to the beach with black swim trunks.
Satoru is a complex individual. He is normally seen to be nonchalant and playful towards his students, close colleagues, and friends. However, he is unsympathetic and cruel towards sorcerer executives, an example being his blatant disrespect towards Principal Gakuganji, and his enemies.
Satoru is extremely confident in his abilities and reputation as a powerful sorcerer, believing himself to be invincible. His opinion of others often only go as far as his judgement of their strength, and he is quite apathetic towards anyone he deems weak. Additionally, greatly influenced by his own desire for power, he is very arrogant. He is convinced that he is the strongest in the world, which he technically is, claiming, during his fight with Toji Fushiguro, that "throughout the Heavens and earth, he alone is the honored one." This can be further exemplified when he was tasked with protecting Riko Amanai, one of the few 'weak' people he genuinely grew to show compassion for. However, any empathy of her death was soon negated by his extensive amount of pride and arrogance after perfecting his reverse cursed technique in his following battle against Toji Fushiguro.
During intense battles, Satoru is seen to occasionally fall into a frenzied fighting state, urged by his determination for victory and undeniable proof that he alone is the strongest. His combative style is characterized by his aggressive and domineering attacks, while flaunting his mastered techniques to his opponents. Furthermore, in a crisis, he is capable of being cold-blooded. He will prioritize his enemies' destruction over saving innocent people when he believes that the sacrifice is unavoidable. However, this only extends to the people killed by his opponent; he will not do any lasting harm to or kill anyone innocent to gain the upper hand.
Nevertheless, despite his haughtiness and strength, Satoru is more human than he first appears. After defeating Toji, Satoru retrieved Riko's corpse with a sorrowful look, showing that albeit his recent conceited victory temporarily clouding his feelings, he still felt some grief over her death. He sought to kill the Star Religious members that were laughing over Riko's death, though was stopped by Suguru Geto -- who he relied on as a moral compass at that time -- before taking any action. Furthermore, Satoru was later left visibly horrified and panicked after learning that Surguru, his one and only best friend, had become a murderous curse user. Satoru attempted to reason with his friend, but eventually realized and accepted that he lost the one person he truly saw as an equal. After having to put an end to Surguru before more calamity arose, it was Satoru's trauma over losing his best friend that caused his ultimate downfall in Shibuya. He was also distraught when Yuji seemingly died.
Satoru's endgame is to reform the jujutsu world from the bottom-up through education. He seeks to foster a new generation of sorcerers that he hopes will one day become his equals.
Abilities and Powers
Overall Skill Level: Satoru is said to be the strongest sorcerer in the series, holding both immense amounts of cursed energy and a dangerously powerful technique. He has also demonstrated himself capable of utilizing the Domain Expansion technique. Satoru himself claims that if Sukuna were to regain his full power, he would win.
Immense Strength: Satoru possesses tremendous physical strength to fight against powerful curses without a problem, delivering powerful punches and throwing Jogo a considerable distance with a single kick during their fight.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: Satoru is an extremely fast fighter, managing to follow the movements of Jogo effortlessly and throwing almost imperceptible punches and kicks. He was shown to be able to move faster than the eye can perceive. Satoru can also eliminate a thousand transfigured humans in five minutes.
Tactical Intellect: Gojo is quite tactical and capable of figuring out his opponent's plan with minimum information. He has also shown to be extremely adaptable to any enemy he has ever faced so far, knowing precisely what to do to counter their techniques and find ways to defeat them. This is best displayed during his bout against Jogo, Hanami, Choso and Mahito where he was shown to be capable of conceiving multiple battle strategies while fighting at blinding speeds, protecting civilians, keeping property damage to a minimum, all while dodging and evading the attacks of the four curses.
- According to Akutami, Gojo is probably over 190 centimeters tall (6' 3").
- He started eating sweets to stimulate his brain but ended up with a sweet tooth.
- He can do anything he tries, so he tries not to get too involved with anything. According to him, this is all for the sake of the next generation.
- Principal Yaga was Gojo's teacher when he was a student.
- Gojo's face was regularly shown in the JUMP GIGA prequel: Jujutsu Kaisen 0: Jujutsu High (all four chapters).
- Gojo ranked 3rd place in the manga's 1st Character Popularity Poll with 16,923 votes.
- He was a fan of Digimon in high school.
- Both his Japanese and English voice actors have voiced Digimon characters. Kaiji Tang even mentioned Gojo liking Digimon on Twitter.
- The name ‘Satoru’ (さとる, サトル) is a masculine Japanese given name derived from the Japanese verb meaning "to know" or "understand." Satoru can be written using different kanji characters, which mean (悟る) "be spiritually awakened" or "attain higher perception.” Other name meanings include but are not limited to "enlightenment" (悟), "wisdom" (智), and "philosophy" (哲).
- Satoru was nominated for the "Best Boy" award in the Crunchyroll Anime Awards 2021.
- Satoru was nominated for the "Best VA Performance (JP)" award in the Crunchyroll Anime Awards 2021.
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Vol. 1, Profile
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Vol. 1, Profile
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Chapter 43 (p. 21).
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Chapter 14 (p. 11).
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Chapter 74 (p. 16).
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Chapter 15 (p. 14-15).
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Chapter 15 (p. 16-17).
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Chapter 89 (p. 16-19).
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Chapter 66 (p. 5).
- @KaijiTang "this man canonically loves digimon"
- | Satoru - Wikipedia