Mai has mid-length black hair that reaches to her neck. She has dark eyes and thin eyebrows as well. Her school uniform consists of the traditional long-sleeved jacked and a long skirt with dark shoes.
While training, Mai wore a long sleeve track suit with black sleeves and shoulders, and a white body, and black pants. As a child, Mai wore a dark kimono with a black sash. Mai casually wears a black sleeveless high collar shirt, with a black long skirt, and black shoes.
Mai is a very crude and straightforward person who takes out desire not to be a sorcerer on others. Upon meeting Nobara and Megumi, she insulted them and their dead friend just for the sake of the school rivalry. She's also always outright when calling her sister useless and weak.
This scowling attitude comes from Mai's desire to live a normal life. Mai and her sister were both raised in the Zenin household, looked down upon for being women and for possessing little cursed energy. While Mai was content living there, Maki decided to leave and become a sorcerer, breaking her promise to always stay with Mai. To avoid any backlash from the Zenin family, Mai was left with no choice but to attempt to become a sorcerer as well.
Mai resents Maki for breaking her promise and she has an attitude toward most people in general because of her life. When it comes to classmates such as Kasumi and Momo, Mai is actually quite kind and has a close relationship with them. Her other classmates believe she's taken after Aoi's crazed and aggressive personality.
Abilities and Powers
Overall Skill Level: Mai is a grade 3 sorcerer and a good sniper with her pistol. Capable of infusing her bullets with cursed energy, with just one direct hit is enough to take down a fellow sorcerer or a curse. While keeps up the façade that she is more powerful than her sister, she does not possess the physical skills to contend with her. Additionally, her cursed technique is unrefined and can only be used once.
Expert Marksman: Mai is well versed in wielding her pistol in battle. In a close range scrap she's willing to blast her opponent several times point blank. From distance, Mai is able to hit her mark with sniper-like precision. Just before Nobara was about to defeat Momo during the Goodwill Event, Mai fired a rubber bullet into he temple that left the first-year instantly unconscious.
- Mai's surname contains the kanji for "meditation" (禪 zen?) and "institution" (院 in?), and her first name contains "genuine" (真 ma?) and "rely on" (依 i?).
- Mai and her twin are both 170 cm tall (5'7).
- It is said by Gege Akutami that Mai is a natural-born troublemaker.
- Mai's sexuality is unconfirmed, but it is mentioned in a volume extra that whenever she interacts with other female characters, it appears as if they're dating.
- Mai was ranked 24th place in the manga's 1st Character Popularity Poll with 1,064 votes.
- Mai was stated to primarily use a Six-Shooter Revolver as a bluff in order to catch her opponents off guard to take advantage of her innate techniques ability to create matter to make a unexpected seventh round after exhausting her first six.
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga: Vol. 5, Profile